This weeks episode of Recipe Archaeology can be filed under both gross and yummy, if that is at all possible. Applesauce Salad had so much potential. Applesauce – good. Jello – good. Red Hots – good. Miracle Whip – not so good.
I think our expressions in this picture are telling. I enjoyed the red part of Applesauce Salad and admittedly ate it for days after. Christine, on the other hand did not like any part of this recipe.
This layered jello has a yummy layer of cinnamon applesauce jello and a disgustingly creamy, tangy layer of cream cheese, Miracle Whip, celery and pecans. Maybe you’re a fan of Miracle Whip, maybe you would love this. For Christine and I, the Miracle Whip was more than we could handle.
If you’re a fan of Miracle Whip (and clearly there are fans out there otherwise it wouldn’t still be on grocery store shelves) and you want to make this. If so, here is the recipe and go with god.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup red hots
- 1 3-oz package lemon jello
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Dissolve candy in boiling water, add jello, and stir until dissolved. Add applesauce
- Pour half of mixture into a jello mold or 8x8x2 pan and chill until firm.
- Blend cream cheese, Miracle Whip, nuts, celery and salt.
- Spread over set jello. Pour rest of jello mixture over the cream cheese, chill until set. Serves 8.