You know what I love? Jiffy cornbread mix. When I was a kid I made this with my mom all the time. Except she would add an extra egg and half a cup of sugar and turn it into a cornbread cake. Food purists, you have every right to your opinion and I know what you think about Jiffy. That’s why you have your blogs and I have mine.
One chilly fall day I stood in front of the pantry waiting for some magical dinner fairy to make dinner for me. It didn’t happen. Then my eyes fell on the Jiffy box and a few sweet potatoes. Eureka! I whipped up some mashed sweet potatoes, put it in a baking dish then poured Jiffy mix around it. Ta-da! Sweet potato and cornbread mashup was born. Show choirs have their pop song mashups. I have perfect food combination mashups.
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 Tbs. butter, softened + 1 Tbs. for baking dish
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs. wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook sweet potatoes in the microwave until fork tender (about 20 minutes). Scoop out potato into a mixing bowl. Add butter, apple cider, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl prepare cornbread according to directions on the box, adding 1 Tbs. wheat germ.
- Melt 1 Tbs. of butter in an 8x8 baking dish in the oven.
- Add potato mixture to the baking dish then pour the cornbread mixture all around the potatoes.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.